Options to get to Hakuba
2nd May, 2014
There are a number of ways to get to Hakuba from Narita and Tokyo;
- The fast way to get to Hakuba by day is by train. You will need to get the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and then the Shinkansen to Nagano Station. There is a 5-10 minute walk between platforms for these two train lines but when you buy your tickets you will be given extra time so you are not rushed. The cost is around Y11,000 one way for adults and takes about 2.5-3 hours. For the one hour journey to Hakuba you can then either get the local bus Y1500 one way) to Happo Bus Terminal and be picked up by the hotel from here or get a transfer (up to Y17,000 for a private minivan for up to 7 people) direct to your accommodation. For local bus timetables see; http://www.skijapantravel.com/gettinghere/train
- If you are arriving in time for the 8pm coach to Hakuba then this is a direct service to Hakuba and takes approximately 6 hours. Cost is Y9900 one way for adults.
- To get a shared transfer in a minivan seating up to 7 people from the airport if is Y14,000 one way for adults. Again this is up to 6 hours unless coming in late at night when you can cut approximately 1-2 hours off the journey. If you are a group of over 7 then there are larger coaches that can be booked. Price depends on numbers so please let us know your group size.
- From Tokyo if you are wanting to save on train cost then you can get the Keio highway bus from Shinjuku station to Happo Alpico Bus Terminal. The cost is Y4800/person one way and it takes approximately 4.5 hours). See here for the timetable; http://www.skijapantravel.com/gettinghere/bus This is the cheapest way but can be a bit tight if the bus is full.
- And lastly you can take the Super Azusa train from Shinjuku Station to Hakuba station (about Y8,500/person one way, 4.5 hours) Only one direct train a day departing at 7:30am, many other trains also available but you will have to change at Matsumoto station and Omachi station with up to 40 minutes wait between trains making it around a 6 hour journey. Comfortable but pretty inconvenient unless you're an early riser.